Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How can AHS help me earn a degree?

    AHS offers courses that can be applied to a college degree at regionally accredited institutions like Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, and Thomas Edison State College.

  2. Who grants the college “credits” earned?

    AHS Institute’s courses have been evaluated and recommended for college transfer credits at more than 1,500 accredited colleges and universities across the U.S. by NCCRS.  NCCRS lists 1,500+ participating schools willing to award credits based on these recommendations. It depends on which institution you want to transfer your credits to, but most students choose to earn their degree from Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, and Thomas Edison State College.

  3. Does AHS offer all the courses needed to graduate?

    Depending on the degree program, students can earn almost all the required credits from AHS courses. The remaining credits can be earned through traditional college courses, online courses, and credit-by-exam. We encourage and guide our students to take advantage of the various credit-by-exam opportunities such as CLEP, DSST, Excelsior College Exams, and Excelsior and Charter Oak online courses, to help complete the degree requirements.

  4. Who issues the degree?

    Most students taking AHS courses earn their degree from Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, or Thomas Edison State College.

  5. What can you tell me about Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, or Thomas Edison State College?

    Each of these colleges are regionally accredited.

  6. Why has AHS partnered with Charter Oak State College, and Excelsior College?

    Each of these institutions offers great flexibility helping students to complete their degree quickly and conveniently. Like AHS, they do not require students to come to campus as a part of their graduation requirements. Additionally, the number of courses students must take directly from any of these colleges is generally no more than one or two courses.

    These institutions allow students to earn college credits in several ways including taking AHS courses. If students accumulate 120 credits through any of these approved sources and the 120 credits meet graduation requirements, the college will grant the student its degree. Other ways to earn credits at our partner schools include:

    Does AHS offer college degrees?

    No. AHS currently offers courses primarily in History, Education, and Judaic Studies. Students will be required to take several General Education courses outside of AHS. Students take courses at AHS and transfer all of them to one of our partner schools to earn their degree.
    • Transfer of credits from other accredited institutions
    • College exams like CLEP, AP, DANTES/DDST
    • Distance learning courses

  7. How can I accelerate the degree process?

    AHS offers many Judaic, Business, and Education subjects via distance learning. In general, students are free to complete their coursework at a quicker pace than the official allotted time. For example, if you studied a specific subject in the past for which you could not transfer credit, you may elect to register in a similar AHS course, if available. Therefore prior knowledge of the subject may allow you to complete the course at a more rapid pace.

  8. What if I want to major in a specific field or discipline?

    That’s great! A specific major or concentration generally requires a minimum of 30-40 credits in a specific discipline. You can still apply approximately 60 AHS credits towards your degree by using those courses to fulfill the elective and some general education requirements.

  9. How long will it take me to earn a degree?

    This depends on the student's prior education and how quickly he/she is able to work towards a degree. Each student is counseled to work at a pace compatible with his/her life situation. Students may be able to complete a degree in one year or less.
Last modified: Monday, 6 January 2014, 11:15 PM